Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Just too much! Too much A.C.!

If it is hot outside and you are freezing inside, you know you are in USA.

Sincerely, I don't know how my body can deal with those incredible changes of temperatures. Outside it is sunny, warm and even hot! Inside it is so cold that I wished I had taken my winter coat and boots with me. Inside the metro, inside the library, inside the classroom, inside the supermarket, inside any place... Isn't it crazy?

Really I am freezing right now. I am going to become a polar bear or even a ice monument!

What a waste of energy!

During the winter, I was amazed by how cold NYC can become and how hot it can be inside the university walls. So, it is not rare to see students and school staff arriving with a big coat, gloves, scarf and hat and then entering the building they take out everything and wear a very summer outfit! What a contradiction! again what a waste of energy! Electric energy and human energy!

For me, it is worst during the summer. I have to carry coat and scarfs, and if I can, warmer shoes so I do not catch a cold due to A.C. And every time I can, I try to sabotage the A.C. And things get better at least until someone realizes the A.C is not working and then my nightmare begins again!

And it is not just me. Generally, international students like myself agree with me. So, let's face it, it is an American problem! I have been thinking that universities and libraries should provide some rooms without air-conditioning. In the other rooms, the staff should indicate the temperature inside the rooms and hopefully every room will have different temperatures, so students like me could choose the room they want to be while reading or typing their final papers or dissertations. Isn't it a great idea?

In the meanwhile, you know what? I wanna go home. Really!

4 comments:

  1. I agree! And the worst part is that I've already caught a cold! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( You are right it is not difficult to catch a cold here!

    The most funny part is when we enter buildings we put on our jackets and when we leave the buildings we take off our jackets! Are we in a different world where things are done in the opposite way? Is this surrealism!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand it's even worse in Florida! Stay away from there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right! I know well!
    I was in Miami last year for an orientation week thing and in the streets we were melting and our hair frizzing due to the humidity and inside the conference rooms we were just freezing! My toes hurt! That even reminded me the Spanish (?) icecream Frigopie! LOL

    ReplyDelete