Thursday, October 30, 2008

Who? Me?

Today, again, I realized that nationality has not to be the same as identity. Again, I found that even if I have just one nationality, I may have more than one identity. In fact, I can clearly recognize my nationality, I have a passport :) nevertheless, when I think about my identity, there is no documents, there are feelings, experiences and so a diverse and wonderful world in it!
There is my identity based on my family roots, another identity based on social and national influences, one based on the education I have been receiving, and all these change according to the experiences lived. When I go to the country of my parents, I feel not a tourist, there are some ways of living that have been passed on to me; but there is also some confrontation between the parents’ country and the country I belong.
It is also when I am in a different country that is not my home country that I really recognize my national identity. Yesterday night, once again, I went to an international event, this time led by the fantastic organizations One-to-World and Fulbright, and when the speaker said the name of my country and I had to stand up, I felt more Andorran than ever. I am glad to meet people who are curious about my country! So, in fact, my nationality is a great part of my identity. It is one very important part. But, I have other parts too… in some way I feel also a little bit Spanish because Spanish language and culture were my first approaches to life, and I also feel Portuguese especially due to the experiences promoted by my parents and by my husband, I have even felt a little bit French when I have been studying in a French school. Should have I stood up when they were calling all these countries? ;)

2 comments:

  1. Great text that you wrote Natali, I fixed my eyes in every word and started to imagine myself: what's my nationality? and how about my identity? I too had the chance to experience different cultures and create roots of friendship with different people. My nationality is one, I identify with another, nevertheless...with the experiences with other countries I gained new identities. I'm rich in identities, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liliana, many thanks for participating and talking about your own feelings, experiences and identities. It is quite a challenge to deal with all the identities we have and feel, but it is also a wonderful gift to have them all. I personally think that the difficult part is when you deal with bureaucratic problems, like the one-nationality policy of some countries like mine (or let me correct, one of the countries I feel mine). Have you experienced any bureaucratic struggle when talking about nationalities and identities? Were you able to solve it? How?

    ReplyDelete